Dr.Tholfkar Al-Baaj, MD LMCC CCFP
A highly energetic, competent, and team spirited Family Physician recog- nized for excelling in fast track, high stress environments with a high level of expertise in Emergency Medicine and General Practice. Able to put pa- tients at ease and determine subtle and often difficult diagnoses and capa- ble to react decisively in an emergency situation. A patient advocate known for working closely with hospital staff and administration in enforcing all policies and procedures and exceeding regulatory standards.
A self-directed professional with excellent communication, interpersonal and problem solving skills that build consensus and promote team work. My aim is to completely implement Evidence-Based Medicine, a holistic approach to patient treatment and medical ethics into my practice.
* M.B,Ch.B from Al-Mustansiriyah University/ College of Medicine, Iraq – Baghdad in June 2000.
* L.M.C.C (Licentiate of Medical Council of Canada) in June 2013.
* CCFP (Certificant in Family Medicine by The College of Family Physi- cians of Canada in Dec.2014).
* BLS (Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers) certified by American Heart Association.
* ACLS provider (Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support) certified by Amer- ican Heart Association.
* PALS provider (Pediatric Advanced Life Support) certified by American
Heart Association and American Academy of Pediatrics.
* ATLS provider (Advanced Trauma Life Support) certified by American
Academy of Surgeons.
• Active CPSBC Full License in Family/General Practice, effective since February 2015.
• Active CPSO independent full license in Family Medicine with the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Ontario, effective since April 2014.
• DHA (Dubai Health Authority) license, from June 2005 to December 2011. • IMA (Iraqi Medical Association) license since September 2000.
• NLMA (Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Association). • CMA (Canadian Medical Association).
• OMA (Ontario Medical Association).
• Doctors of BC.
• CMPA (Canadian Medical Protective Association).
• CFPC (The College of Family Physicians of Canada).
• CAEP (The Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians). • EMA (Emirates Medical Association).
• IMA (Iraqi Medical Association).
Foothills Medical Clinic – Coquitlam, BC : Started in April 2015, as a full- time Family Physician.
BC Women’s Hospital – Vancouver, BC : Started in April 2015, as a staff physician at the Complex Chronic Diseases Program, an interdisciplinary program, the first of its kind in Canada, that treats and supports patients with Lyme disease, Fibromyalgia and Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. The goal for the program is to provide patient-cen- tred care through comprehensive assessment on bio-psycho-social needs and symptom management.
• Main West walk-in Clinic – Hamilton, Ontario : Several Locums From April 2014 to February 20, 2015, as a locum Family Physician.
• Labrador-Grenfell Regional Health Authoriy – Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada : From November 03,2014 to November 30, 2014 and then from December 18, 2014 to January 10, 2015, as a locum Family Physician at Charles S. Curtis Memorial Hospital (Category-A community hospital) in St.Anthony.
• Labrador-Grenfell Regional Health Authoriy – Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada : January 09, 2012 till September 01, 2014, as a full time Family Physician. My duties at Flower’s Cove Bell of Isle Health Center, Charles S. Curtis Memorial Hospital (Category-A community hospital) in St.Anthony and other peripheral community health centers of Labrador- Grenfell Health Authority include running outpatient Family Practice clinics, Emergency Room shifts, and in-patient care.
• Welcare Hospital – Dubai, U.A.E (Tertiary private hospital with a capacity of 120 beds that is JCI Accredited & managed by EHL a member of the In- ternational MediClinic Group): June 2008 – November 2011 as a General Practitioner in the Accident & Emergency Department.
• Canadian Specialist Hospital – Dubai, U.A.E (Tertiary private hospital with a capacity of 112 beds): July 2005 – June 2008 as a General Practitioner at the 24hour walk- in clinic.
• Al-Mustansiriya University- College of Medicine, (Al-Yarmuk General Teaching Hospital – Baghdad, Iraq): October 2002- May 2005 as a senior resident doctor in the departments of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Family Medicine, I dealt with all obstetric and Gyn. as well as General Practice cases at a senior registrar level and I worked as 1st surgical assistant in many major surgeries, in addition to that I’ve had academic responsibilities including supervising the undergraduate medical students and teaching them the basic clinical skills.
ACADEMIC POSITIONS/ EXPERIENCE
. Teaching undergraduate medical students and Athabasca Nurse Practi- tioners, at Labrador-Grenfell Health Authority in Newfoundland, Canada.
. Examiner Physician for Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Exams and Certification Examination in Family Medicine by the College of Family Physicians of Canada.
. Faculty Physician at Al-Mustansiriyah University, Baghdad/Iraq: I was teaching undergraduate medical students and a member in the Examina- tions Board.
POSTGRADUATE MEDICAL TRAINING / ROTATING INTERNSHIP
From October 2000 to October 2002, at the best and highest rated teaching hospitals in Baghdad/Iraq.